January 19, 2012
FISH PROCESSING FOR EFFECTIVE STORAGE: SMOKING
Smoked fish are fish that have been cured by smoking. As part of our Self Sufficiency series, we have researched the process for smoking fish for our faithful and erudite readers. The preservation of fish has been an integral part of every culture that subsisted on fish. Over thousands of years, man has perfected the art of drying, salting and smoking fish. The fisherman's catch, if properly preserved, can be an exciting addition to family meals over an extended period of time; when properly done smoking will preserve fish for several weeks or even months. Smoking is not only one of the oldest methods of preserving fish, but an excellent way to preserve fish that you don't plan to or cannot eat immediately. The fish dries an it hangs over a smoldering fire while the smoke infuses it with its distinct aroma and flavor. Not only does the wood smoke add flavor, it also adds color. The brining process that precedes smoking, helps to preserve the fish.
There are two general methods of smoking fish: hot-smoking and cold-smoking. Both require brining the fish, but the amount of brining time differs as does the length of smoking.
Hot-smoking (also called barbecuing or kippering) requires a short brining time and smoking temperatures of 90°F for the first 2 hours and 150°F for an additional four to eight hours. Hot-smoked fish are moist, lightly salted, and fully cooked, but they will keep in the refrigerator for only a few days at best.
Parasites In Fish
Freshwater and marine fish naturally contain many parasites. These parasites are killed during the hot-smoking process, as long as the temperature reaches 140°F and stays there for a short period of time.
1. Use only fresh fish or fish that was quickly frozen.
2. Clean fish, removing the head, tail, fins, etc.. Also remove any bruised or damaged flesh.
3. Wash in clean water.
4. Prepare a salt-water brine of 2 1/2 tablespoons plain salt to 1 cup of water. You need 1 quart of brine for 1 pound of fish.
5. Place fish in brine for 15 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness of the fish.
6. Prepare smoker. Plan on smoking for 3 hours plus 30 minutes per pound of fish.
7. Remove fish from brine and rinse with cold water.
8. Place fish, skin side down on oiled smoker rack.
9. Keep the temperature low, around 150
10. Increase heat after the first 2 hours to around 200
11. Continue smoking until fish is flaky and cooked through.
12. Serve immediately or refrigerate. If you don't plan on eating the fish in a couple of days, wrap it tightly and put it in the freezer.
Any fish can be smoked, whether fresh or saltwater. Species such as Salmon and trout, which are high in fatty oils such are highly recommended. Fish that are high in oil will absorb the fragerant smoke and have a smoother, creamer texture than leaner fish do. Lean fish if not smoked with care, become dry and tough.
Download the Complete Catfish Farming VCD and Manual
Nigerian Business Discussion Forum. Discuss. Advertise. Download.
• EARTHEN PONDS • CONCRETE PONDS • MOBILE FISH POND SYSTEMS • CAGE AND PEN CULTURE SYSTEMS EARTHEN PONDS Earthen pond system is the ol...
As part of its mission to help our numerous subscribers in their fish farming ventures, Catfish Nigeria has offered another free ebook avail...
If you intend to go into catfish farming in Nigeria, the first thing you have to get hold of is the fingerlings. The fingerling can be obta...
21-07-2014 UPDATE: E-BOOKS & VCD STILL ON SALE!!! 15 FISH FARMING MANUALS + BONUS VIDEO Do you know that it is possible for you to...
INTRODUCTION A disease is a deviation from normal state of health and in a fish culture it is the end result of an interaction between...
Role of Aquaculture In Health, Social, Economic and Environmental Development As the human population continues to grow, finding means to ...
THE LAND: The first factor to put into consideration while sitting a fish farm is land. The best land for fish farming must be the land t...
Since good planning is an ingredient for survival and success of any business, you will need to write a feasibility report before you start...
BUSINESS PLAN Mission Statement of Business State clearly in 2-3 sentences what you intend to do in business. 1. Executive summary a) D...
Semi natural or hormone induced reproduction in ponds/tanks as describe above has not proved to be a reliable method for mass production ...